Eating & Drinking
If you prefer to leave the supermarkets behind when you are on holiday then you might want to head to some of the following.
Local Fish - in Ballantrae
- Live crabs and lobsters can be bought from Eric McIlwraith – he fishes from Ballantrae Harbour during the summer and has the red van and works from the lifeboat shed. Call him the night before on 01465 831 422 or find him at the harbour.
Ferry Fish - in Ballantrae on Wednesdays
- The Ferry Fish van delivers to Ballantrae on Wednesday around 12 noon – it is quite hard to catch them so best to order at least the night before for delivery on Wednesday particularly if you want anything special or on the bone. They do have good fish which is absolutely fresh and quite a bit of choice and generally have local prawns and scallops. Crabs and lobsters are to order although they usually have white crabmeat. They will deliver to the cottages although timing is not exact but they will leave at the cottage in an ice pack or if cool box is left out and it is prepaid by credit card. Their van is also in the Hanover Square car park at Stranraer on Wednesday 10 – 2.
- Call 01671 820 748 or see www.ferryfish.co.uk
Dowhill Country Fayre – approx 16 miles from Ballantrae
- Farm shop with local produce and a good café.
- Call 01655 331 957.
Marrbury Smokehouse – approx 30 miles from Ballantrae
Dalduff – approx 27 miles from Ballantrae
- Our farm supplies some lamb to this shop and you’ll find excellent quality meats here.
- See www.dalduff.co.uk or call 01655 740 271.
Pieroni - approx 33 miles from Ballantrae
- Pieroni fish shop in Ayr has a huge selection of excellent fish. Directions are in the cottages. It is not in the centre of Ayr but relatively easy to find and you can park outside.
- Open Tuesday to Saturday, closes at 4pm weekdays and 1pm on Saturdays.
- See www.pieronis.com or call 01292 265 532.
Galloway Smokehouse – approx 46 miles from Ballantrae
- On the banks of Wigtown Bay is the Galloway Smokehouse, home of prize winning smoked salmon, trout, seafood and game.
- See www.gallowaysmokehouse.co.uk or call 01671 820 354.
Kilnford – approx 75 miles from Ballantrae
- Just off the A75 near Dumfries, an excellent place to stop and stock up en route to Ballantrae.
- See www.kilnford.co.uk or call 01387 253087
Scotland is famed for its whisky and if you wish to taste or learn more then why not head to one of these.
The Whisky Experience, Kirkoswald – approx 20 miles from Ballantrae
- Experience whisky with the experts at one of their tasting events.
- Call 01655 885 756.
Bladnoch Distillery – approx 42 miles from Ballantrae
- Scotland’s most southerly distillery nestles on the green banks of the River Bladnoch.
- See www.bladnoch.co.uk or call 01988 402 605 for more details.
If you want a night off from the stove then these are a few restaurants nearby.
Glenapp Castle Hotel – approx 2 miles from Ballantrae
- Award winning restaurant, fabulous for dinner on special occasion. Booking required.
- See www.glenappcastle.com or call 01465 831 212.
Pebbles Bistro, Lendalfoot – approx 4 miles from Ballantrae
- Excellent light food, very good for lunch or early dinner with wonderful sea views.
- Not recommended for children and booking required at weekends.
- See www.bennaneshore.com/healthbar or call 01465 891 223.
The Boars Head, Colmonell – approx 6 miles from Ballantrae
- Traditional local pub with great views from the dining room.
- Call 01465 881 371.
Roxy, Girvan – approx 13 miles from Ballantrae
- Much better than it looks from the outside! There is a conservatory with a view over the harbour and good pub food can be had. It has won various awards and there is sometimes entertainment at the weekends.
- Call 01465 715 261.
Wildings, Maidens – approx 20 miles from Ballantrae
- On the harbour at Maidens just beyond Turnberry, this restaurant specialises in seafood.
- See www.wildingshotel.com or call 01655 331 401.
Campbells, Portpatrick – approx 24 miles from Ballantrae
RESTAURANT QUALITY FOOD IN YOUR COTTAGE
If you can't face cooking, or are celebrating a special occasion then why not consider getting someone else to do the hard work for you? Karen Earle is a local cook who will come to the cottage and cook for you, alternatively she's happy to prepare food and deliver it for you ready to eat (with no need to heat up). Get in touch with Karen to discuss further on 07909 787 224 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is also Stinchar Valley Meals who will deliver home-cooked frozen meals to the cottages - have a look at www.stincharvalleymeals.co.uk
for more information or call 01465 881 276 or 07767 115 603.